Phone us on 02 4933 0055 to arrange an appointment with Optometrist Jason Tang (B.Optom Grad Cert Oc Ther, UNSW. Member ACBO)
- We bulk bill most eye examinations to Medicare for existing clients (exceptions include OCT scans, dry eye treatment and some contact lens related consultations).
- All new adult patients are required to have an OCT scan, which assists us in screening for glaucoma and macula degeneration, at a cost of $50. The rest of the eye examination is bulk billed to Medicare (some exclusions apply).
- Children’s eye tests are bulk billed to Medicare unless they have been tested elsewhere in the past three years.
- Appointments available most week days and Saturday mornings
- All comprehensive eye examinations include checks for glaucoma, cataracts and macular degeneration
- We take the time to conduct a thorough examination, explain your results, and answer questions you may have
Our optometry services include:
- Children’s vision testing
- Ophthalmic medicines prescribing
- Contact lens fitting
- Retinal photography at no charge when required
- Diabetic screenings
- Drivers Vision Testing
- Dilated Fundus Examinations
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) eye scans
- Referrals to eye specialists (ophthalmologists)
Frequently asked questions
How often should I have my eyes examined?
It is recommended that people under 65 with no history of eye problems have an eye examination every 2-3 years. For over 65s or those with a history of particular eye conditions more frequent examination may be advisable. However, if you are having difficulties or feel you need an examination you can choose to come in at any time. If you are experiencing symptoms such as blurry vision, headaches when reading or by the end of the day, recent onset floaters or flashing lights, sore eyes, red eyes, or any other problems with your eyes you should have your eyes examined as soon as possible.
Some people require eye examinations more frequently than average. If you are a contact lens wearer, diabetic, or have a visual condition requiring more frequent monitoring this is likely to be the case. Jason can advise how often appointments are recommended for you.
What does an eye examination involve?
A complete eye examination (usually performed once every two-three years) at our practice includes assessment of the following:
- Visual acuity (how well you are currently seeing with and/or without glasses)
- Whether your current glasses prescription requires a change (or whether you need glasses if you do not currently wear glasses)
- How well your eyes are working together (binocular vision)
- Focusing (accommodation) assessment
- Pressure check for glaucoma
- Front of eye check including screening for cataract, dry eye, and sun damage
- Macula health check
- Retinal health examination
Jason will explain the results of your eye test in detail as well as answer any questions you may have either during or after the examination.
When should children have their vision tested?
Jason is able to examine the eyes of children of any age. At the very latest, all children should have their eyes tested prior to starting school. If you have any family history of eye problems such as strong glasses, lazy eyes, or turned eyes it is advisable to have your children’s eyes examined from the age of two, or even earlier if you have any concerns. If a child over the age of six months has a turned eye (squint), either some or all of the time, they need to be tested as soon as possible.
We stock a wide range of frames for children, including specialised frames for babies and toddlers. View our Miraflex baby frame range here.
At J & J Optical we can:
- Provide glasses correction for any significant shortsightedness, longsightedness or astigmatism.
- Test for functional vision problems such as a turned eye, weakness in eye movements, poor tracking, focussing problems, and visual perception skills such as spatial awareness and visual memory.
- Provide treatment and vision therapy to develop the visual skills needed for clear, comfortable, and optimally functioning vision.
To find out more or book a consultation, phone us on 4933 0055.